Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Back In the States

Hey everyone!

Am back in the U.S.  It was a really good time at the Rancho Sordo Mudo school.  There are around 35 kids there, and their ages range from 4, 5 years old to around 18 years old.  They are divided up in groups but they all share meals together.  Many of the teachers there are missionaries that are there for a couple years, three years, or even 7 years.  Most of them are hearing and they learned LSM (Mexican Sign Language) upon coming to the school.  It is pretty funny because when I try to communicate with them, they use LSM to try to talk with me, and I use ASL... and we are both hearing and Americans and can speak english, but we are at a communication barrier with two different sign languages!  

I miss Alexa, my wife, of course!  She is doing great in Canada and her first visit with the doctor went very well.  She will have to see another doctor before she knows what is necessary to make her better, and then she will fly back to join me on the road trip as soon as possible!  We are hoping that she will be back by Thanksgiving when we will be in Austin, Texas!  

I had a great time with Omar Ruiz, and for anyone who knows him, will know that any time with him is guaranteed to be a great time.  He made me enjoy Mexico even more because he knows the language, the people, and where the good places to eat are!  Big thanks to him for the great weekend - he is the one who took me to the deaf school.

This deaf school really inspired me - because it is something that is a direct result of God touching one man.  If you want to know the story, check out www.hearingeverett.com!  They have a great DVD about the founding of this school, and you really should check it out.  If you want to help out this school in any way, you can do it probably through that website.  

Of course, I thought of the orphans in Eastern Europe - the whole reason for this fundraising road trip - and saw that it is really possible to make a world of difference for children that would otherwise have  hopeless life.  All it takes is faith in God and an unified effort, and one must believe in the power of Christ and the self to accomplish things.  Traveling on this road trip has opened my eyes to the many Christians and loving people across the nation, and if we all could work together towards a goal of a better world, we can do so much.  I'm not just saying this because it sounds good - I can say this because I literally have seen churches across the nation :)  

The pictures below are of the Sunday morning (last day) at the Rancho and the route to San Diego, where I stayed for a couple of nights with my good friend Jim Crane, and the route to Phoenix, where I just arrived and am at right now!

Enjoy em!  



Sunday morning service.  The mess hall is converted to a church!  

Signing songs. 

Luke Everett preaching the sermon.  He preached in LSM!  Gozo is Mexican for "Joy".  He talked about how it is important that we have joy regardless of our situation or financial status.  

Me n Omar with Luke Everett's wife, Josefina, and son, Sammy.  Great hosts!  Served us delicious coffee.

Omar preaching on Sunday morning at a deaf church in Ensenada, Mexico

The church group.  Omar took the picture.  Nice group of people.    

We went on the route up to Tecate to go across the border.  Bumpy ride!  

Ever been to any of those cities?  

People selling tortillas during our wait on the long line of cars at the border.  

Waiting for our turn to enter the U.S.  No VIP passes for American citizens!  

Finally!  It was dark by the time we got to the border.  

The morning after.  Omar and I parted ways, and I met up with my good friend and Christian brother, Eric Calbert for breakfast at Denny's.  We worked together on Dr. Wonder's Workshop as cameramen.  

In San Diego with Jim Crane.  He's a student at San Diego State University.  He did a great job into showing me around downtown SD, and took me to a very delicious burger place!  

Someplace between California and Arizona.  

Dry

Even drier!  Check out those things in the background.  Sand dunes!  I almost thought I was in the Sahara.  

Arizona!  

The cactuses confirmed that I was really in Arizona

77 degrees.  Perfect weather.  Just don't come here during the summer!  

Phoenix

At my Grandpa Jack's home.  This is my uncle Steve.  He cooked a very delicious dinner - mountain salmon.  He's my mother's brother.  

My other uncle, Ricky!  He also lives at this house.  My mother's brother also.  

That's all for now.  Tomorrow night (Wednesday Night) it's a mission trip presentation here with Brian Baell.  Naturally will post pictures when the time comes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment